Max and Darwyn colouring

Max and Darwyn colouring

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Darwyn's first words

Tonight I was poking through some old blog posts of Max and reminiscing.  I noticed a post by Gus on Max's first words and it occurred to me that we have written nothing about Darwyn's first words.  It is easy with the second to get distracted.  I can only imagine what will happen if we have four.  Anyway, I'm not sure how interested you random readers will be in Darwyn's vocabulary, but for her benefit (when she is older) here is a dictionary:

"Mo" is more, but is said somewhat periodically (the alternative is whining and reaching for the food she wants)

"Daddy" - obvious

"Mummy" - also obvious (she used to say geeda, but she only did that a few times and then resorted to mummy)

"Denny" - Dennis  (She has also said Kathrin's name, but I can't remember how she pronounces it)

"Ma" - Max  (Again, she also says Annie, but I do not remember the pronunciation).

"Titty" - A rather unfortunate attempt at kitty, but not as bad as when Eric used to pronounce Shaky "Shitty".

"Doddy" - Doggy

Dat - That (she's says this a lot, but I'm not certain that it is not just me reading into it and deciding she is saying "that")

"Uh-OH!" - A very favorite word (Or least favorite for Gus and I)

"Ah" - Means "Ya", she does not appear to have a word for no, but screaming and crying and waving her hands around emphatically usually gets the message across.

She says both "Bye" and "Hi" perfectly, but usually only after the person in question has long since departed.

" Up Pee" means up please.  Despite considerable effort on my part, she rarely says this, but I have heard her say it perfectly.  Usually she just holds her arms up...which is still a step in the right direction because I can now convince her not to scream and cry when she wants up.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember them right now (I'm reminded of Mike's attempts to record all of Leora's vocabulary on his palm pilot when Leora was Darwyn's age.  As I recall he gave up a few 100 words in).  Darwyn is entering a phase where her vocabulary (both spoken and understood) is exploding.  She regularly impresses me with how much she can understand, and communicate even without words.  If she wants to go outside she gets her shoes and brings them to you, if she wants to eat she goes to her chair and cries, if she wants your help she comes and takes your hand and drags you to the task she is trying to solve.  She can also find different requested books in her book bin and bring them to you, but she still has trouble sitting through them (except for peekaboo baby and barnyard dance which she requests repeatedly).

Anyway, I won't try to pull a Mike and record all her words, but at least now she has a record of some of her first words!


No comments:

Post a Comment